Tuesday, July 10, 2012

NAIL NEWS: MERMAID TO ORDER


There’s nothing like a fresh coat of nail polish on my fingers to make me feel instantly…well, polished! The right coat of varnish conveys my mood and pulls any ensemble together, even if it’s really casual. I like to try bolder, more vibrant colors in the summer (shocking, huh?) because the sun and sand tend to yellow paler hues into sickly-looking shades.

Speaking of the sun and sand, I’ve been trying to get to the beach as much as possible during my free time because I love, love, love the ocean.  Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to take too many day trips this summer because my weekends have been unusually busy. Undeterred, I decided to bring the beach vibe to me! Sephora by OPI’s “Mermaid to Order”  ($9.50 at Sephora) is the closest thing I can think of to having the beach in a bottle. The stunning metallic teal is aptly named and it’s so different from what I normally wear that I get happy every time I look at my fingers.

As such a bold and unique color, “Mermaid to Order” may not be one of my go-to nail polishes for a manicure, but I’ll definitely grab it here and there for a pedicure. The color lasts for about a week on my fingers (with a top coat) and two weeks on my toes with only minor tip wear, so I'm pretty pleased. My only real gripes with this shade are that it needs two coats for full opacity and I can see visible brush strokes when dry. Other than that, I adore this playful hue!

Natural light. With flash.

Natural light. No flash.

Sorry for the somewhat sloppy application. I distractedly painted my nails while watching “Firefly” on Netflix. It's Ed’s new TV obsession, even though we haven't finished the second season of "Game of Thrones" yet. (I don't know why considering it is intensely riveting!)

No comments:

Post a Comment